Wednesday 27 June 2012

One wedding and a music festival

BUSY TIMES! Went to my first (and probably last, but you never know) French wedding, of my neighbours Pascal and Jenny - it was low-key but still really nice! Everyone had a good time and drank too much at the reception, but isn't that what weddings are for?!
At the Mayor's place to sign the papers

The happily married couple with Catherine!
A few days later I even got to babysit - well, DOGsit - and walk Jenny and Pascal's dog Gaya for half a day! She's an 18 month old black labrador; not quite my little Oscar, but it was awesome having a tail wagging around the place  - and someone to play tug-of-war with!

Gaya (dog-tired)
The 21st June in France is pretty exciting - the day of "la fete de la musique"! It's a national festival which means that in every town (apart from the ones with a population of 10 or less) there are bands, choirs, orchestras, percussionists, DJs, whatever! In Loudun there were dancers, a Portuguese jazz/banjo-playing band, a DJ set complete with strobe lights and a disco ball, a rock band fronted by an electric violin instead of a guitar, a traditional African drumming group and probably even more that I didn't manage to see.
Portuguese banjo-playing band - what do you call Spanish music? I forgot the name.

Hawaiian-themed song
The whole night has such a cool atmosphere! Everyone in the town is...in the town. But it makes me realise that Loudun has a population of MORE than about 200 people, because I can SEE them all! I think we should start something like this in Australia. Just pick a really boring day during spring and call it MUSIC FESTIVAL DAY.

Kofe Miam Miam (who were experimenting with the wonders of cordlessness)
So that was a TYPICAL FRENCH night/festival/holidays/celebration (pick the right word)!

I'm writing this the night after I got back from ENGLAND cos I'm a bit behind with my newsiness, so my next post will be solely dedicated to the motherland itself. Cheerio!

No comments:

Post a Comment